与GTA 3:MTA和MTA:VC相关的统计数据（使用All-Seeing Eye软件测试）表明MTA可支持多达1000名玩家同时在线游玩。MTA:SA的初版MTA:SA R1.0在发布后也可支持多达1500名玩家同时在线游玩。
有一个名为"Project Redivivus（拉丁语，意为“复活”）"的开发团队正致力于重新开发MTA III和MTA VC （MTA 0.5）。该开发团队认为他们的这一举动将会让部分玩家回归旧版MTA。
2003年2月8日，MTA以GTA3AM（GTA III Alternative Multi-player的缩写）之名首次发布。该模组允许两名玩家藉由按组合键ALT+F12的方式进入双人战局。但是在该模式下，两名玩家只能一直待在载具中；当其中一名玩家离开载具后，另一名玩家会看不见他。
0.5 offers two game modes for GTA Vice City: Deathmatch and Stunt. Deathmatch offers several character classes that players can spawn as, each with advantages and disadvantages. Stunt offers players the opportunity to race and perform stunts over ramps that are added to the map.
GTA III players are offered a "drop-in" style of deathmatch gameplay on Portland and Staunton Island, where the player spawns with limited weapons and has to purchase more at Ammu-Nations with money earned from kills. There are no classes; each player has exactly the same advantages as the next. Shoreside Vale builds on this by offering the player a choice of skin and primary weapon to spawn with.
The team had originally planned an extra 0.5.5 release with bug fixes, a new style of deathmatch for GTA Vice City and several enhancements to GTA3:MTA. They decided, however, to focus on their next-generation technology "Blue", better known as MTA:SA.
Multi Theft Auto San Andreas features a new game mode called "race" where you race against other players inGTA San Andreas. You must to go through all of the checkpoints/coronas to finish the race. It also offers a map editor that allows you to create your own maps for different styles of gameplay. A very popular map isDestruction Derby, in which you have to destroy the opposition.
Multi Theft Auto San Andreas Death Match is currently known as MTA:DM dp2.3 (developer preview 2.3), in death match there are many servers on offer with up to 128 players at any time! The scripting for death match is done in a programming language called LUA with added MTA functions, this scripting gives a lot of flexibility and means that no two servers will be the same, the most popular game mode in death match is "Freeroam" which lets the players do what they want within the rules of each server and MTA. The second most popular type of server is "Roleplay" where players take on the role (hence the name) of a member of the server society and try and be as realistic as possible. The scripting for MTA (LUA) is much more flexible than any other third party multiplayer modification for the GTA games, there are also many map editors for MTA which means that any GTA:SA object can be added to the servers.
MTA: San Andreas 编辑
Recent releases of MTA are for Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and are built upon a new core codenamed "Blue" which has been in development for over two and a half years. This represents a major shift in the team's focus because they will be providing users with all the tools they need to create their own game modes and leaving much of the game mode creation to third parties.
The first release of MTA:SA featured a vehicle racing mode and an accompanying map editing mode that allowed users to create custom environments and races.
The next release of MTA entitled "Deathmatch" adds a deathmatch mode along with a new kind of expandability. the developing team's website.
MTA "Deathmatch" is very popular and has many gamemodes such as Stealth, Assault, Race, Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch and many more... MTA:DM has been released to the public as an open source project, meaning that the development will speed up considerably, and the next release will be the first not to be titled as "Development Preview" and should have full sync for all players, and with more flexibility for scripters meaning that anything possible in the world of GTA (and some not so possible) will soon be implemented into the servers.
Feature summary 编辑
- Optimized netcode which results in less lag and better accuracy/hit registration.
- MTA:SA's own custom dynamic GUI (Graphics User Interface) that replaces the original Grand Theft Auto "menu" GUI and allows control from any game mode running on the server. This allows MTA to draw its own windows and widgets for any in-game user interaction such as the new server-browser.
- MTA:SA uses a modular platform and loads several of its module DLL (Dynamic Linked Libraries) (e.g. core, net, GUI, deathmatch) into the game instead of injecting code into its memory process as with other versions. This improves stability, speed and allows a better file management.
- Fewer glitches. This is achieved by synchronizing every animation, implementing a custom pause menu so that people can't pause to escape death, forcing the frame limiter on so that everyone's game runs at the same maximum speed, and a controlled memory management through the Blue platform.
- Greater synchronization means that all native elements such as animations, explosions, particles, skins, weapons, vehicles, objects, players, etc. as well as new elements such as custom 3d models are available and controllable.
- Modification support through, but not limited to, C++ means that complex game modes can be created, unlike the rudimentary ones possible with MTA:MA at the moment. This may include any tools needed in the process. For example, combined with a powerful map editor, this would allow all kinds of custommodifications in totally new maps taking place in completely new scenarios to be created. The user could code new modes and create new maps for a completely dynamic, fully customizable game mode
The advanced nature of the Blue core has allowed the developers to place a sophisticated WYSIWYG editor into MTA:SA for adding checkpoints, spawn points and power-ups. It also allows users to place extra models into the game such as ramps, roads, trees and exploding barrels.
Upon the next release of MTA:SA, the map editor will be completely renewed to work with all the extra features MTA:SA "Deathmatch" will include.
The Gangs of Multi Theft Auto编辑
Since the release of 0.1, gangs (commonly referred to as "clans") have emerged to attempt to become the best in MTA. They operate very similarly to clans in other popular multi-player games, usually having their own servers and websites, advanced leadership and recruitment, and position systems, and gang wars, or clan matches (Sometimes called "Scrimmages" or scrims for short), with other gangs regularly.
The gangs have their own Gangs forum on the website.
Multi Theft Auto mIRC Admin (MTA:mA) is an administration client for MTA made using mIRC (developed by "Aeron"). It has the possibility to create and run custom-made mIRC scripts on MTA servers, useful in authoring game modes, advanced cheat detection/protection, and linking to other programs. One popular script isMTA:mA:GRS (General Release Script, developed by Oliver Brown - [FMJ]Oli, who has since become a Multi Theft Auto developer), which is widely used in both GTA3:MTA and MTA:VC servers.